Jackson County, Indiana was organized in 1815, Redding Township (then spelled Reading) was established in August 1821 and the town of Reddington was laid out in June 1837 by John Prather. Reddington consisted of 43 lots, of which lot No. 19 was donated by the proprietor of the town for church and school, but was not used for that purpose until 1876.
The great Kentucky revival at Cane Ridge in 1801 spawned a new Christian movement which quickly spread to southern Indiana.
It was in December, 1833 that a few of the early pioneers living in the Reddington area met in homes and in a small log school-house which stood where the Reddington Cemetery is now. Most of the early records of the church have been destroyed but here is what we know.
In 1876, the first unit of our present building was built. It is assumed that where the church building sits today is Lot 19, the one donated by John Prather. It was a simple frame building with two doors at the south end of the building, one for the men and one for the women. The Pulpit was in the north end of the room and men and women were seated on opposite sides of the sanctuary. A New enterance, vestibule, and bell tower were added to the south end of the building in 1904. Two years later the entire structure was bricked.
In response to the needs of a growing congregation, a basement with Sunday School rooms and a new enterance were added to the north end of the building in 1916. The pulpit was relocated to the south end of the building at that time. A baptistery was installed in 1952. In 1953 a 36' X 70' annex was connected to the building giving the congregation several additional classrooms, a kitchen and inside restrooms. In 1962 the sanctuary was newly decorated and dedicated.
Our present facilities were completed in 1986. At that time a sanctuary, fellowship hall, offices and additional restrooms were added while at the same time the annex was remodeled into additional classrooms.
We believe… that the Bible is the inspired Word of God and without mistakes as originally written. It is the complete revelation of His will for salvation and the only unfailing rule of faith and practice for the Christian life.
We believe… in one God, Creator of all things, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and that these three are co-eternal and of equal dignity and power.
We believe… in the deity of Jesus Christ; His miraculous conception by the Holy Spirit; His virgin birth; His sinless life; His substitutionary death on the cross; His bodily resurrection; His ascension to the right hand of the Father; and His personal, imminent return.
We believe… that man was created by God and for God; that by man’s disobedience toward God, every person incurred spiritual death, which is separation from God, and physical death as a consequence; and that all people are sinners by nature and practice.
We believe… the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins and that all who believe in Him are declared righteous because of His sacrificial death and are, therefore, in right relationship with God.
We believe… in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit indwelling all believers and thus enabling and empowering the life and ministry of the believer.
We believe… in the bodily resurrection of everyone who has lived; the everlasting blessedness of those in right relationship with God through Jesus Christ; and the everlasting conscious punishment of those who have rejected God’s forgiveness in the person of Jesus Christ.
We believe… that baptism, repentance, confession of sin and acts of obedience are not acts of salvation but should be a result of salvation which comes through faith (trusting) in Jesus Christ as personal Lord and Savior (Ephesians 2:8-8).